National Service (VISTA) – Family Services
August 2017 – July 2018
MISSION: To help Habitat for Humanity Prince William serve more families, be watchful stewards of donor funds and involve more volunteers in our mission through community outreach efforts to recruit and retain family partners and volunteers.
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for representing Habitat for Humanity’s programs in the community to foster participation from individual and group volunteers, generate funding through sponsorships from volunteer groups and increase the number of applications from families for Habitat’s home ownership and home repair programs.
- Recruit homeowner and home repair applicants through orientations, open houses and other means to meet annual goals for number of families served
- Support communication and correspondence with family partners and potential family partners, ensuring successful applications and partnerships
- Maintain complete, accurate and up-to-date electronic and paper records pertaining to family services and provide timely reporting for grant compliance and management’s use
- Liaise with staff and the Family Selection Committee concerning applications and partnerships
- Provide referrals for education, training and other community resources to applicants and those who inquire of our services
- Facilitate site visits, interviews, celebrations and dedications with family partners
- Identify potential volunteer roles and recruit for them through volunteer orientations and other means to meet annual goals for numbers of volunteers and number of hours volunteers serve
- Facilitate the screening, training, support, supervision and recognition of volunteers
- Assist in engaging volunteer groups through sponsored activities
- Maintain accurate volunteer records and provide timely reporting for grant compliance and affiliate staff
- Support volunteer committees as needed
NEIGHBORHOOD REVITALIZATION PROGRAM COORDINATION
- Assist in the development of a “focus neighborhood” approach to neighborhood revitalization
- Build and maintain strategic alliances and strong working partnerships with community based organizations, community action groups and local government departments
- Facilitate development of a community plan within a focus neighborhood
- Recruit volunteers to help implement the Success Measures™ component into the Neighborhood Revitalization program
- Assist with logistic support for community engagement and affiliate events such as home dedications, open houses and donor recognition events
- Assist in the solicitation of in-kind donations of food, gifts and other recognition for volunteers, family partner events or other events as needed
- Assist in the solicitation of sponsorships from volunteering groups
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must understand and appreciate the mission of Habitat for Humanity. Qualified candidates must possess strong problem-solving skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, and the ability to multi-task. This individual must be detail-oriented and able to work independently. The candidate must be proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite of programs. The candidate must communicate clearly, tactfully, courteously and professionally with customers, donors, volunteers, staff members and the general public. The candidate will have the desire to manage, train and motivate volunteers. An ability to understand and relate to diverse populations including those suffering economic hardships is necessary. The individual must have the ability and willingness to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with staff, business and community leaders, vendors, donors, homeowners and volunteers. The individual must be capable of providing excellent customer service including: managing difficult or emotional homeowner situations; responding promptly to customer needs; soliciting customer feedback to improve service; and meeting commitments. The individual must exhibit objectivity and openness to others’ views; listen and get clarification; give and welcome feedback; contribute to a positive team spirit; and put success of the team above one’s own interests.
Education and/or Experience
- Completion of core curriculum for bachelor’s degree
- Progressively responsible professional employment history, or any equivalent combination of experience and/or training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Experience working with volunteers or social services preferred
- Bi-lingual skills in Spanish is helpful
Special Requirements/Work Schedule/Physical Demands
- Attendance at evening or weekend meetings, events and activities is required
- May require work on Saturdays or Sundays
- A good driving record and possession of a valid Virginia Driver’s License is mandatory
- Must pass background and credit checks
- Performs other related tasks as deemed necessary by the President/CEO
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in a retail/office environment with minor exposure to dirt, dust and temperature changes. Work does require local travel and interface with the public. Working conditions are moderately quiet.
To apply, please contact:
Habitat for Humanity Virginia
Habitat for Humanity Prince William County is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.